Mold can be very problematic in homes. From its ability to grow anywhere to its awful smell, property dilapidation powers, and it’s hazardous effects to the health and well-being of your family, it is easily one of the most annoying things to grow in your home.

It makes perfect sense to remove it. But the question remains, how do you go about removing it?

Why Mold Removal is Tricky?

Indeed, mold growth in your house is a serious problem and needs to be removed. However, it’s easier said than done.

If you have no experience with mold, you’re probably thinking, scrape it off the walls, or scrub it off with a brush and soap.

Unfortunately, it is the worst thing you could possibly do. Mold is not just a stain, it is a living organism that multiplies in contact with moisture.

Disturbing mold will only cause it to release its spores into the air. The spores will then not only concern your health and trigger allergies since they are in the air.

Spreading of spores will result in the growth of new mold colonies in other places in your home. Even disturbance as light as a breeze from a fan can trigger mold to release its spores. Not to mention, any attempt to scrape away the mold or to brush it off with soap will only increase its growth in adjacent things/places.

Mold remediation is a special process and requires a lot of care.

Does Bleach Work for Mold Removal?


People are smart enough these days & don’t scrape or scrub the mold. Instead, they use bleach to remove mold. To your surprise, a lot of times, bleach helps in the removal of mold. However, it only works if the mold growth is on the surface. E.g; mold growth on bathroom walls, or sinks. It works on non-porous surfaces only as they are were surface mold grows.

However, on porous surfaces, bleach cannot help you. And might even make the mold problem worse. This is because, in porous materials, mold can have deep roots that go well beyond the mold surface bleach evaporates very quickly, not allowing it to properly clean all the mold but only clean the mold on the surface.

The water components of the bleach, however, can reach further into the porous surface and go to even feed the mold. So while the outside appears clean, you would have no idea that the mold is festering inside.

Bleach is also very harsh and can irritate you if you inhale too much of its fumes, so it is best to avoid using it. Bleach can work sometimes, but it is certainly not the ideal cleaning agent when tackling mold.

The Proper Way to Remove Mold

As said before, mold removal requires knowledge and expertise. If you are informed enough, you could attempt it on your own. But remember, be it a simple sneeze or sudden watery eyes, drop everything and call Dry Effect to leave it to the professionals.

Also, if you are unsure if it is black mold, or if the mold growth is up to 10 square feet, it is best to call a professional to handle it as well. Remember to always gear up properly before attacking mold to reduce the health risks. Gear includes a respirator, goggles, and gloves.

The Alternative Methods of Mold Removal Are:
  1. Vinegar: Vinegar is an easy replacement for bleach. While it is also better on non-porous surfaces like tiles, it is not toxic like bleach and the fumes will not affect you. You can use undiluted vinegar in a spray bottle and wash affected areas thoroughly with a soft brush.
  2. Baking Soda: Baking soda is totally safe for your family and pets. And still works effectively in the removal of mold. It is better than bleach as it can be used on porous surfaces as well as non-porous ones. Just apply baking soda directly to the affected surface and allow it to penetrate it for a while before wiping away. You can also add water & vinegar to the baking soda and spray on the surface for extra effectiveness.
  3. Hydrogen Peroxide: It is the best method for the mold removal process. It is not toxic, and it also removes the stains left behind by mold. It is also the best since it can be used on any surface, clothes, walls, floors, even appliances.

The Takeaway

Mold removal requires a lot to be properly done. When you find yourself lost, call the professionals at Dry Effect to assist you. Whether it’s a small area or an entire house our team is available to assist you any time or any day.

About Lisa McIntyre

Lisa McIntyre has always resided in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. She graduated from University of Cincinnati with a degree in Applied Science. Ultimately, her passion for science and teaching came to fruition after her husband requested her assistance in developing Dry Effect Restoration Services. She was able to develop her knowledge, degrees and certifications further in many indoor air quality associations and organizations. Thus allowing her to educate Realtors and Insurance Agents on the damages that many common indoor air quality irritants and water bacterial growths can lead to in ones home or business. Over 10 years later she’s glad to have taken the leap of faith to assist her husband what seemed to be a fun project into a lifetime achievement and to see the individuals she teaches prosper from their newly found knowledge.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *