Mold is a fungus which grows in multicellular filaments and multiplies by spreading spores into the air. This gives it the ability to grow anywhere and everywhere as it’s spores are always in the air just waiting to land on any convenient growth spot. For mold to grow, all it needs is a little dampness.
It is no wonder then that we see so much of it everywhere.
There are different types of mold, and this means that you will only find specific kinds in your home. These are house molds. Examples of house molds are cladosporium, the likes of penicillium (which brought about the discovery of penicillin), aspergillus, stachybotrys chartum and alternaria. These are the molds you find in places like your pipes, your AC, or wet clothes.
Out in nature mold serves great purposes like helping in the decomposition of everything from leaves on the ground to dead animals. It is a very important part of the circle of life.
When mold comes into the home however, it poses a big problem.
Why house mold is dangerous
There are several reasons why the mold in your house should be removed as soon as possible. Some are;
- The stench: This is one of the milder dangers of mold growth in your home. It smells absolutely awful and can become quite the embarrassment. No one wants to be known as the friend with the stinking house. And living in the oppressive smell can make you uncomfortable in your own home causing distress.
- Spores and allergy: Due to the fact that mold reproduces and spreads by releasing spores into the air, the presence of mold, most definitely means spores. Spores can trigger severe allergies in people and pets leading to everything from sneezing, red, swollen eyes, irritated skin, scratchy throats and more, every uncomfortable reactions. This poses a danger to all members of the household, but especially children, asthma patients, elderly, and pets.
- Toxic black mold: Mold is of different types but black mold is what you should be most afraid of. Black mold can cause mold poisoning. At first the symptoms will be simple like that of a flu, but if inhaled for too long. It could lead to way more serious consequences like memory loss, problems focusing, sensitivity to light, anxiety, nerve problems leading to numb extremities, body pain, cramps, and weight gain.
- Structural damage: Mold is not just a substance that happened to spill somewhere which causes problems, no, it is a living thing, which means that it eats. In order to grow, mold feeds on the cellulose in whatever material it grows on, thus destroying the strength of said material. Mold growing on a carpet will cause it to decompose, mold growing on a wall will also cause the wall to decompose as the mold feeds itself on it. Mold is capable of causing structural damage so severe that it could bring a building down.
Mold is small but that does not mean it is harmless, and it should be removed as soon as possible.
Ways to get rid of house mold
Mold can be cleaned up without much hassle if you know what you are doing and you have a mold patch that is small enough for you to handle. However if you are not totally certain what to do, or the mold patch is too large to handle, then don’t hesitate to contact Dry Effect to deal with it for you. These professionals have all of the equipment as well as the knowledge to get rid of your mold problem for good.
To attack mold yourself, you must;
- Have safety covered: Mold spores are very dangerous and mold patches react to external stimuli by spraying spores. If you plan on attacking a mold patch be sure to be wearing gloves and a mask to protect yourself. If you begin to feel anything like a sneeze or watering eyes, or a scratchy throat however, abort immediately and go get a professional to handle it.
- Use vinegar to kill mold: Vinegar is the only household cleaning agent properly strong enough to address mold. It is able to penetrate down to the roots of the mold. As such, vinegar should be your go-to. On porous surfaces, spray the surface with vinegar generously and allow to sink in for a few hours. On a non-porous surface you may spray the vinegar on the mold and then brush off with a soft brush.
Mold is very dangerous and poses a threat to every member of a household, and as such house mold should not be tolerated. For easy removal of house mold it is wise to call Dry Effect but you may also attempt the feat yourself with proper care.