The recent reports by the Insurance Information Institute claim that water damage is one of the most prevalent and expensive disasters affecting the homeowners. The institute accounts for around billions of dollars in water loss annually.
Hence, it is vital to take care of your home’s foundation timely. Properly maintaining your home is one of the best ways to prevent water damage. If you avoid the little damages and do not get them repaired on time, you could be soon looking at costly water repairs, and insurance claims.
Check out these expert tips that you can implement to prevent water damage:
Ensure Good Drainage:
The first step to prevent damage caused by heavy rains and downpours is having proper drainage. The main reason that your home’s foundation gets weakened is poor drainage. It causes cracks in the concrete foundation, creates pathways for water, uneven settling and pooling of water. Thus, it is recommended by experts to keep water away from the house foundation and ensure proper drainage.
How to do it? (Experts Advice)
- Ensure that your gutters are cleaned regularly. A clogged drain can damage the foundation.
- Make sure that the water from your downspout is directed at least 5 feet away from your house.
The old, fragile, or leaky hoses are among the primary sources of water damage. It is advisable to replace your hoses leading to dishwashers, water heaters, washing machines, and refrigerator icemakers regularly to avoid expensive damage. They can stop the water flow, thus damaging your walls, floors, and foundation.
- A Pro Tip: You can also invest in smart home water monitoring, alarm, and automatic shut-off system. The system will alert you about any leakage issues. You can then immediately replace the hoses having leaks or cracks.
Examine Your Sump Pump Frequently:
A quality sump pump is essential for your basement floor. It is extremely helpful during storms and floods. It can help prevent the basement floods and water damage to your home’s foundation. With a properly functioning sump pump, you are assured the best possible protection against any kind of damage during flood.
- Maintenance Tip: You should check the sump pump at least once a year. Ideally, it is recommended to perform various checks during heavy storm seasons. To test your sump pump, fill the basin with water and make sure that the buoy rises, the pump turns on, and the water level lowers.
Investigate Water Leaks and Fix Them:
Did you know most of the water damages are due to the persistent leaks. The leaks lead to rot, mildew, carpenter ants and even termites. Hence, it is advisable to fix these leaks before any long-term damage.
How to check for leaks?
- Find out if there are any stains on the ceilings, dark spots under pipes inside sink cabinets, or any course drips.
- Inspect your roof once in a year. Repair the cracked caulking, missing, loose and damaged shingles.
Timely Check Your Soil Grade:
Don’t let the soil around your house to dry out completely. Create a downward slope with soil sound your foundation. This allows water to flow away from your home and prevents water from weakening your home’s foundation.
Also, during a dry season, it is strongly advised to water the soil around your home’s foundation to keep it moist enough to prevent any shrinking.
Moreover, it’s vital to minimize landscaping near utility pipes since they soak up all the moisture from the soil and hence making your home’s foundation weak.
Monitor Your Water Bill:
Since there are so many types of water pipes hidden behind the floors and walls, it is difficult to monitor them. The only way you may know that water is leaking is by taking a closer look at your water bill.
It is important to keep a check on your water bill. If you receive an unexpectedly high bill, it may be a sign that there is some damage or leakage.
Examine Your Roof:
Your roof is the main element in your home that needs regular service. It is the one part that gets bombarded by the Mother Nature. Inspect your tiles or shingles to ensure that none are missing, loose or damaged. Also, it is essential to maintain your roof properly, particularly if you have any moss, algae, or lichen build-up.
- Expert Tip: Consider having your roof cleaned professionally. There are many professional roof cleaners; you can book your appointment annually.
So, these are the top ways to prevent water damage. With these tips, you can add years to your home and can lower the maintenance costs.
If you are looking for Water Extraction & Flood Damage Cleanup, Dry Effect Restoration Services can help you with the same!