Can You Get Sick From Mold In Your House? - Dry Effect Restoration of Cincinnati

Cincinnati 513-763-2121

Northern KY 859-757-2055
Louisville Ky 502-509-4382

Can You Get Sick From Mold In Your House?

There is something sinister about these lurking mold that agitate landlords and proprietors extremely. Mold in any form- be it the black moldy growths on shower curtains, slimy white spots or patches on floorings, or the sleek orange layers on kitchen drains- are good enough to break out home and business owners in a cold sweat.

One or the other way, we are all exposed to mold spores as they are everywhere-both indoors and outdoors. Wherever there is ample moisture, mold form their cozy homes there. Mold growing in homes and offices are indicative of poor indoor air quality. This is quite irksome for householders and business owners.

Before laying stress on mold allergies, let us make you aware of the potential sources of these molds which intrude into your lives with the purpose to make you sick.

You may be inadvertently promoting mold growth in your homes and offices by leaving certain things unchecked and unattended. Mold settles in your home due to a couple of reasons. Some of the many are as follows:

  1. Water that leaks from walls, pipes, or ceilings
  2. Excessive moisture that emerges from poorly ventilated basements
  3. Damp carpets house allergens which are flushed out in air whenever you walk on the carpeted floor.

In general, wherever there is moisture, there is mold. Thus, mold in your home is worthy of your attention. If you remain unmindful of their presence, they will grow vigorously. Just don’t allow mold to jeopardize your life.

If you are desperate to know whether these molds can cause you any harm or not, you have landed in the right place. This article is meant for you as it aims to answer all the questions regarding molds that pool up in your heads.

Just read through carefully to get all your answers.

Let’s get to the core question.

Can you get sick from molds?

In minute amounts, mold spores tend to be harmless but when provided with any damp spot in your homes and buildings, they immediately dwell in to grow and proliferate. When they grow, they release spores in the air which when inhaled render you susceptible to mold-related health conditions.

Without being skeptical, one can say that these molds do have the inherent capacity to make you fall sick, particularly when you are prone to allergies or asthma attacks. It is noteworthy that whether you’re mold-allergic or not, extensive exposure to these molds serves as an irritant to your eyes, nose, skin, throat, and most importantly lungs.

 

Mold allergy

Does your allergies seem to worsen in wet or moist environments? If yes, you are likely to show allergic reactions to mold exposure.

Those of you who are sensitive to allergens, inhaling or touching mold spores can mediate histamine related reactions (allergic reactions) including:

  1. watery nose
  2. sneezing
  3. coughing
  4. reddening of eyes and skin
  5. rashes on skin
  6. congestion
  7. postnatal drip

Individuals with severe mold allergies display severe symptoms such as chest tightening, shortness of breath, fever, cold, etc.

Unlike other allergies, mold allergies aren’t seasonal as molds grow round the year.

Who’s at high risk?

Generally, mold allergies are not as life-threatening as we deem them to be. However, they do cause hindrance in leading a healthy life. We all have different tendencies to develop mold allergies. Some of us may be resistant whereas others may be vulnerable. This suggests that not all of us are at an equal risk for developing any mold triggered medical condition.

But the question is: who amongst us is at greater risk?

  1. People with weakened immune systems
  2. People with any chronic lung or respiratory disorder such as asthma

Apart from these, children and infants are also at high risk if they excessively and unknowingly inhale mold spores.

How to prevent or reduce mold allergies?

If you’re allergic to mold, you need to win the battle against these molds by taking some precautionary measures.

Here, are listed some of the best ways to alleviate mold burden.

  1. Don’t spend much time outside when the outdoor spore levels are predicted to be high.
  2. Wear a dust mask whenever you visit any place that harbors a great number of molds.
  3. Stay away from uncut fields.
  4. Control humidity in your home by installing air conditioners and dehumidifiers.
  5. Clean and dry all the surfaces in your homes.
  6. Check your basement regularly and lower the moisture conditions.
  7. If you ever spot mold on any hard surface, get it out by using a bleach solution or any other fungicidal agent.
  8. Install high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters to purify the air by trapping the outdoor mold spores.
  9. Fix any water damage immediately.

Taking all these preventive measures will do a great deal in eliminating molds from your homes and buildings.

The Takeaway:

Having molds in homes doesn’t mean you can’t control them. All you need to do is just reduce the humidity levels in your homes and buildings. If you can control moisture conditions, you will certainly triumph over these molds.

Nothing is more important than health. Taking the above-mentioned preventive measures will keep you and your dear ones from falling sick. Whenever you suspect molds, never be late to address the mold problem.

Just focus on leading a healthy, safe, comfortable and mold-free life. If the problem is too great, call Dry Effect.

Share Dry Effect on Facebook Share Dry Effect on Twitter Share Dry Effect on Google Share Dry Effect on LinkedIn

We are still open!

We are still open to deal with your flooding and water issues. Please give us a call to set up an appointment.
Don't miss out. Subscribe today.
×
×