Can you Live in a House with Mold?
Whether it is a warm, humid summer, or a cold and damp winter, some of the regular home activities can result in indoor moisture thus letting the mold to build a place for it.
Mold tend to grow on clothes, walls, books, and toys. It can turn your prized possessions into dusty relics that only similar to garbage.
But is it also a health hazard? Can you live in a house with mold? Is it safe to let mold stay in your rooms?
Continue reading the blog to know the answer!
Introduction to Molds:
Molds are a form of fungus that occurs in different types, and can be found both indoors and outdoors.
Common indoor molds include:
- Penicillium: This tends to grow on materials with water damage. It often has a blue or green appearance.
- Alternaria: This occurs in damp places indoors, such as showers or under leaky sinks.
- Cladosporium: This can grow in either cool or warm areas. It tends to appear on fabrics and wood surfaces.
- Aspergillus: This often grows indoors, on dust, powdery food items, and building materials, such as drywall.
Hence, molds take a variety of forms and textures. They can be white, black, yellow, blue, or green and often look like discoloration or stain to a surface. They can even have a velvety, fuzzy, or rough appearance, depending on the type of mold and where it is growing.
Molds can enter the home via:
- Air: They can enter through open windows, doorways, and ventilation systems.
- Attaching to objects or people: Vehicles include clothing, shoes, and pets.
Dangers of Mold Entering Into the Home
As mold can be classified as a fungi, it grows and responds the same as the others within its kingdom. In other words, it develops, eats, and spread its spores the same as other molds, mushrooms, and bacteria. The home provides the perfect resources to allow for its development and growth. The CDC, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warns about the dangers of living with mold in the home:
- Respiratory tract symptoms that include coughing, wheezing, and swelling of the throat.
- Those with hypersensitivity pneumonitis are prone to the immune-mediated condition.
- Those who have asthma and allergy problems are especially at risk.
Although not the most common, black mold is classified to be one of the most dangerous types of molds. As it is most frequently found in the dark, undisturbed areas, these places can include rarely-used shower stalls, behind the walls, in the attic, crawlspaces, and underneath staircases. In order to avoid these uninvited, dangerous molds, be sure to check these areas every now and then in addition to keeping moisture levels to a minimum.
There are a number of commercial products available to help remove mold.
To clean or remove mold:
- Wipe hard surfaceswith a suitable commercial product, soap and water, or a heavily diluted bleach solution. Always dry the surfaces after use to prevent mold from reappearing.
- Wash or wipe porous surfacesand check regularly to see if mold has returned, as it can infiltrate these materials. If mold continues to reappear, consider disposing of these items.
- Ask at the local hardware storeabout antifungal paints and other products that can help prevent mold from developing.
- Call in a mold removal professionalto tackle large areas of mold.
- See a doctorif you believe mold is causing a health problem.
As soon as you notice signs of mold, be sure to look in all places to find where it may be hiding. You can also call Dry Effect – a professional mold remediation company in Cincinnati for mold removal services. We inspect, remediate, and prevent the mold from occurring in the future.
Our technicians have years of experience and ongoing training to ensure their services are updated and the most effective.
You can also visit our blog page to learn how to prevent future mold and water damage. Usually most cases of the mold start with water damage.