There are some day to day cleaning agents that we all use, which can actually affect your’s as well as your pet’s health. Sometimes we might not even notice the effects in the slightest. However, pets are more exposed to the risk of issues from these cleaning agents. It’s because pets are closer to the carpets & lawn, which can harbor the residue of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
Pets are generally more curious and don’t know anything about toxicity or health care. Therefore, they tend to walk right into these problems.
Our pets also have smaller bodies than we do, which means they metabolize faster. Hence, toxins will react and effect quickly. Because of their inability to protect themselves from toxins, it is up to us to make sure that they are not harmed.
Cleaning agents which could harm your pets
Ammonia is a very common ingredient in a lot of cleaners for windows, ovens, carpets, drains, and countertops. It is also used in several degreasers.
In case too much ammonia is inhaled, it can actually irritate the respiratory tract and cause very significant problems. If you have a cat, you will probably notice that your cat tends to stay away from its litter box until you clean it. It’s because the smell that comes off your cat’s litter is actually ammonia.
When you will use products having ammonia in them your pet is unable to avoid inhaling it. It can cause serious health problems after a while. To be safe, search for brands that don’t use ammonia in their products.
Bleach is simply the everyday word for chlorine. We use this chemical probably more than any other. It can be found in almost every sanitizer or cleaner out there, being used for clothes, dishes, and basic disinfectants.
However, the fumes that come out of bleach are very powerful and can be harmful not only to pets but for humans also. It is a powerful irritant and when enough is inhaled, it can cause serious consequences such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and damage to the mucous membrane.
If ingested, the consequences are even worse. For people with dogs, it is important to watch what the product you are using to wash toilets. Lots of dogs are quite fond of drinking from the toilet bowl. If you use bleach, you might unwittingly warrant an emergency visit to the vet for your pet.
3. Chemicals for Flea Control:
As pet owners, it is your responsibility to keep your pet healthy. And this includes keeping them away from fleas. To ensure this, most pet owners make use of flea control chemicals, which are harmful.
Most often these chemicals are toxic, being able to penetrate the skin, resulting in the poisoning of bloodstream. The effects may not be noticeable right away. Therefore, instead of using flea repellents you may try electric flea traps which are totally safe for your pets.
As an alternative to other harmful chemicals, you can use diatomaceous earth, which is completely non-toxic. It is capable of killing all insects, from fleas to roaches, and even ants.
4. De-icing Salt:
During winters, we use de-icing salts to get rid of ice & snow in our immediate surroundings to avoid slipping accidents, etc. However, these products can be very harmful if ingested. Though humans will not eat these salts, pets may walk over them, and end up licking their paws.
Ingesting this substance could lead to tremors, stomach irritation, nausea, vomiting, drooling and general weakness or lethargy. Even when not ingested, they could injure the paws of pets. To be totally safe, make your pet wear little boots that are waterproof, or wash their paws after you know they have walked over de-icing salts.
You can also litter sand outside your house in the winter. It will not melt ice but it will help to increase traction and reduce the chance of slip accidents.
Antifreeze has a sweet smell that attracts pets. But that is just a flytrap and immensely dangerous for humans, animals as well as the environment. Even a little bit of antifreeze is able to kill your pet.
Any spills accidentally washing into the ocean can kill scores of fish. If you really want to use it, buy the non-toxic one (which is expensive). Considering that you need antifreeze for your vehicles, the added cost of non-toxic one is worth it for your pet’s health and the overall safety of the environment.
Pets are unable to protect themselves from toxic things like humans. So, it is up to us to ensure that we don’t expose them to harmful substances. Always look through ingredients you buy to make sure that you get what is safe for your family and pet.
Related Post: How Do I Get Dog Pee Smell Out of My House?