Have you Insured Your Home for Water Damage?
The most common causes of damage in most of the homes is “Water.” Also, you will be surprised to know that the water damage insurance is the widely claimed insurance annually. Water can damage your property in the following ways:
- severe weather or storms
- plumbing and appliances
It is vital for property owners to understand the different types of water damages. Read the blog to know about each damage in detail:
Your roof is open to all types of wear and tear. Water can come in through:
- broken, worn, or missing shingles
- poorly sealed roof
- flashing around vents
- corroded roof
- nails that have worked loose
- skylights or
- the intersections of roof planes.
The common problem with roof leaks is that they manage to get bigger over time thus making it hard to take restorative action on time.
How you can find them?
- Watch out for a roof leak during the day with a bright flashlight
- If the weather is dry, inspect the water stains, marks, or discolorations on the wood made by moisture.
- Don’t go onto a roof that is steeply tilted. Also, if the plastic sheeting is wet don’t step on it, and never try to inspect a roof during a thunderstorm.
The best advice is to get your roof inspected and maintained annually to prevent leakage.
Snow and Ice Damage:
Wondering how snow and ice can affect your home? You may find those white crystal icicles hanging from your roof pretty, but do you know they can secretly clog the gutter, prevent the melted snow to drown properly and can cause ice dams.
If the ice starts melting, the water may find its way to the interior of the home through shingles. The best way to prevent it is to make sure that the ventilation in the attic space is balanced out properly. Also, make sure to check your insulation levels.
This type of water damage is more prevalent in homes that have flaws in their existing drainage systems or roofs.
Hence, it is recommended to take care of your roof just before, during, and immediately the winter season. With such preventive care, you can protect your roof from severe damage, thereby minimizing roof repairs, delaying the need for a new roof, and avoiding costly leaks.
Is the base of your house deteriorating? Wondering how foundation issues relate to water damage? These issues won’t let the water to drip, but they can be dangerous during rainstorms or any other emergencies.
Dealing with the water damage to the foundation:
- Reduce the water content of the soil around the foundation.
- Replace the broken or damaged water sources such as landscape grading or overflowing gutters that brings water near the foundation.
- Practice basement waterproofing techniques such as installing an exterior waterproofing membrane or injecting sealant into cracks in the wall or floor.
- Install an underground exterior drain tile to remove soil water away from the house.
- If ground water is filling the foundation, installing a sump pump is advisable.
If not taken care at the right time, these issues can unfortunately cause the most damage and can be costly to repair.
Natural Calamities Damage:
If the level of water rises from outside and enters your home, this type of damage is known as flood damage or natural calamity damage. It could be as a result of heavy rain, overflow from nearby water bodies, spring runoff due to melting snow and ice.
How can you overcome this damage?
You can opt for a good Flood Insurance and get it claimed during that time. Make sure to read the terms and conditions before buying any policy.
Note: A flood is generally not covered by home insurance policies.
Water Service Lines Damage:
With your home, the water servicing lines get older. Many breaks and leaks are associated with the temperature changes, aging of pipes, shifting of the ground or corrosion. It is necessary for property owners to keep a check on this type of damage.
How to deal with this damage?
- You can hire professionals to check the service lines annually.
- You can monitor your water bills properly
- If in case, the service lines are damaged, you can claim your Water Service Line coverage. It includes the cost of:
- Unblocking sewer lines
- Locating blockages in the pipes
- Exposing the damaged pipes
- Replacing or Repairing Pipe
- Backfilling of areas disturbed by repairs
- To claim the insurance, make sure the damage is sudden and accidental, not a wear-and-tear or maintenance issue.
It is vital for all the property owners to understand these damages and know what can be done at the time of emergency. Also, it is necessary to notify your insurance company about the damage soon.
If you are finding a great water damage restoration company, reach Dry Effect today. We can help you understand the steps that you need to take next. Also, we can assist you in recovering from those damages.
Leave a Reply