6 Things You Need to Know About Water Damage
Sewage leaks, floods, or pipe burst all of them come uninvited. The damage caused by them can range from mild to severe. Situations such as toilet overflows and sewage backups can even create severe odor problems. Have you faced any of these problems? A million questions might run through your mind. It’s time to understand more about water damage and how you can prevent it.
The most common cause for the water damage is moisture. The more the building materials are exposed to wet conditions, the more potential there is for harmful mold and mildew to grow, and the more hazardous this situation becomes. Does this sound like the situation you face every now and then?
The types of water:
The Water Damage is categorized as one of three levels in terms of how much polluted it is:
- Clean Water: This type of water does not possess any health risks and is clean. It can be from a clean water source such as a freshwater line for a dishwasher. It will not have any ill effects.
- Grey Water: This type of water may come from dishwasher, toilet runoffs, sump pump failures or washing machine. It contains contaminants and may cause discomfort or illness if exposed or consumed.
- Black Water: This type of water is heavily contaminated since it comes from sewage, unsanitary sources that contain fungi, bacteria and viruses. This may cause serious illness if exposed to or consumed by humans. Thus it is extremely hazardous and requires professional water damage restoration services to properly clean up.
It is vital for you to understand the difference between these water types. This will help you in analyzing what type of action you need to take at the time of an emergency.
Different insurance policies for flood damage and water damage:
Did you know most of homeowner’s insurance doesn’t cover flood damage? You might be thinking water is water, but most companies don’t consider your homeowner insurance to recover from the floods. Hence, before claiming or buying the insurance, it is important to consultant with your insurance company, whether the claim is for water damage or for flood damage. This way you can begin adjusting your claim accordingly.
Quick action after water damage:
Once your property is damaged by water, you don’t have the time to wait and begin with the cleanup process. Moreover, mold growth may lead to serious health risks. Your wet carpet or drywall can increase the chances of mold growth. Mold typically starts to grow in 24-48 hours in an untreated moist environment. It is recommended to take help from the professional mold remediation service to safely treat and remove the mold. Read more Mold? How did we even get to this point?
Hiring a Restoration Company:
No matter how your home got damaged, it is always advisable to take help from a restoration company. Restoration Companies are generally the first responders if there is any water damage to a home or business. The professionals clean up the mess, preserve, and protect the home along with its contents to avoid further damage. You can call any water restoration company near you in order to recover from the situation soon.
The types of water damage repair/restoration:
- Water Damage Mitigation: It consists of debris removal, water extraction, cleanup of affected areas, structural drying and demolition if required.
- Water Damage Restoration: It is the repair and rebuilding of building materials that could not be recovered during the mitigation portion. Hence, it needs to be removed. Examples include- affected drywall, carpet, hardwood and other building materials.
Call your insurance company right away:
It is always a good idea to call your insurance company if such damage occurs. They can start the claim process as soon as possible guiding you through the first steps that you will need to recover from the damage. Your insurance company may also refer you to a preferred vendor who can assist you in recovering your home. But you always have the option of hiring whom you have a preference to work with. Read more on why Being an insurance company’s ‘preferred vendor’. What does it mean for the policy holder?
Quick Tips To Help You Recover From Water Damage:
- It is important to choose a well-reputed water restoration company to assist you.
- Keep a copy of your restoration company’s contract.
- Start repairing your home immediately after the cleanup services.
- Identify a good insurance company before you have any accident.
- Know what your insurance policy needs you to do following an extreme loss.
- If any insurance coverage questions come to your mind, ask your claims adjuster for providing the answers in writing.
Water damage can be both dangerous and expensive. Hence preventing it is a vital part of your home maintenance. The best part is if you know the basics and the things that you need to do once it happens. Thus you can prevent it from going worst.
If you are searching for water restoration specialist, Dry effect team can help you in finishing your search and assisting you during the time of emergency.