Do you suspect that you have mold in your home? If yes, then it is essential to take care of this condition as soon as possible, before it starts spreading. But first, it is necessary to gather some detailed information about mold.
Know more about mold and their favorite places to grow
Mold is a kind of fungus that grows and reproduces on surfaces like walls, leather shoes and even on food materials. It loves growing on anything cold, damp and ultimately results in the formation of a powdery discolouration on the surface.
Most of the houses are most susceptible to the growth of mold during the rainy seasons, and the worst part is its unsightly appearance.
It is believed that some variant of mold can even make the inhabitants sick, especially if the members already have issues related to allergies or Asthma. This happens due to the presence of some microscopic structures in molds called spores which enters into the nasal and respiratory passages giving rise to breathing or other allied other complications.
According to numerous researches, it has been found that following are the four groups of people who are susceptible to molds and may even suffer from the severe condition.
- The infants
- The aged or the older people whose respiratory and immune systems are weakened due to age.
- People with chronic lung issues like Chronic obstructive pulmonary lung disease (COPD), Asthma or pulmonary hypertension
- People whose immune systems are compromised with malicious diseases like cancer and AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome)
However, if you are anxious about the mold situation of your home and want to resolve this condition, then you are in the right place.
Even though it is challenging to get rid of molds permanently, but it is not impossible. Only professional can help you to get rid of this state.
But finding the right person is the first and the most crucial step. In that case, the first thing that you need to ensure that the person you hire has the right skills, tools and knowledge for that particular job. So when it comes to hiring a professional, it is always the best plan to have some clear sense regarding which option would be perfect for you. In case you get to hire a wrong professional, you might have to end up paying more than what you ever expected!
Whom do you think you should contact for fixing such an issue, a mold specialist or just a general handyman or a contractor?
Keep on reading till the end to figure this out!
Who is a handyman?
A handyman is no less than a superman! You must be wondering why? Here is the reason.
A handyman is the jack of all trades, and they have got a wide range of skills over a variety of tasks. However, they do not have a professional certification or recognitions besides being convenient. You can only hire a handyman when you are sure that you cannot do it by yourself because you have no time or you choose not to do.
It has often been seen that deciding to hire a handyman and a mold specialist can give rise to a lot of confusion because their skills may sometimes overlap across numerous areas. But in reality, handyman and specialists are two completely different professions.
A handyman could be an excellent option for helping out with such tasks that you could have done yourself if you had all the required equipment.
Who is a licensed or general contractor?
Well, to be precise, a licensed or a general contractor is more like project heads as they are responsible for home improvement related tasks. Say for instance, if you have plans to remodel your kitchen or bathroom, then a general contractor may be able to help you out. So they are more hired explicitly for full projects and not just a single task.
Who is a mold specialist?
What is the first thing that crosses your mind after hearing the term “Specialist?”
Yes, you are right, you can’t just stop thinking about a trained professional over a specific field just like plumbers and electricians are specialists. You should always hire a specialist for more extensive and more complicated tasks that is impossible for you to handle.
Depending on the scope of the work, a specialist may come with a team to complete their work. They generally handle complex and more significant issues that cost more than usual but get the job done flawlessly.
Now speaking about mold specialist, it is pretty much clear that the person or the team who takes responsibility to resolve issues related to the growth of mold in your home are mold specialist.
So in case you find out visible mold in your home, or you are aware that molds might be growing in a specific part of your home, then the best idea is to seek professional help.
Well, not all molds are harmful or toxic, but it is always recommended to take advice from the experienced mold specialist who can help to determine what kind of mold you are dealing with and what can resolve this issue.
After all, mold specialists have better knowledge about molds, ranging from their places of growth to their removal processes and ways to ensure that they do not return to the same areas. Most of such professionals are attached to what are known as “restoration companies” which are generally work based on contracts. When you hire them, they will come to your house, thoroughly inspect the infested areas and then use scientific methods to remove them, which rarely leaves any side-effects.
Reasons you should choose a mold specialist over a general handyman
There are thousands of ideas that you should select a mold specialist over a general handyman. Let us glance at some-
- Fast and efficient- The mold specialist understands the importance of these situations and responds promptly whenever contacted, which might not always be the case with handymen. A quicker response is crucial to reduce the ravages of mold and of course, reduces your expenses to a great extent.
- Well-trained and professional- Since mold specialists are trained professionals and certified in dealing with any kind of issues associated with molds. A different specialist has a diverse field of specialization like some are well adept when it comes to Applied Microbial remediation, which directly deals with removing or reducing molds. While there are other technicians like Water Damage restoration or Applied Structural drying technicians, who are responsible for reducing damage caused by precipitation or helping to dry up damp and moist areas by scientific techniques, thereby dealing with the mold problems indirectly. Since mold specialists work in groups, the team may have a combination of the technicians and be able to resolve the predicament within a short time.
- Utilization of modern tools and techniques for mold removal or remediation- The mold specialists are equipped with the most advanced equipment that helps them in combating mold problems. For detecting the presence of damp or mold in several unpredicted places in the house, they use scientific equipment called a negative air pressure chamber. This device helps in isolating the infested locations of your home. Once they have already detected the spots in your house, they will start the remediation process by maintaining all safety measures during the whole operation.
- Mold specialists know what is best for your home- It is evident for you not to know what can be best for your home or what can resolve this issue. In such a case, it is always recommended to listen to their advice. They know what exactly does your home need. Home remediation or mold removal?
What steps does mold specialist take to combat the problems?
Once you decide to contact a professional mold specialist, the first thing you must do is ensure their certification and experience. After selecting and employing a mold specialist, they will start evaluating the mold condition and then begin determining the source of the moisture that has allowed this unnecessary growth. Any experienced mold professional will usually not find it disturbing in providing you with information about the appropriate steps required for the process. Following mentioned are the steps that each mold specialist follows-
- Inspection and assessing the damage caused by molds- Mold specialists use specialized techniques to detect molds in hidden water sources in your house as they are challenging to locate, given the fact that their primary diet consists of water and cellulose.
- Containment of the fungus– Then they use negative air pressure chambers to make their work easy because it helps to prevent spores from spreading during the cleanup operation. You won’t want spores all over your place, will you?
- Filtering the air- Mold specialists use tools called “air scrubbers” or HEPA vacuums to filter and purify the air in the house of all traces of mold spores. You would opt for a hassle-free cleanup procedure. These ensure that.
- Removing the mold and the materials where molds were thriving- Simple chemicals like antimicrobials and antifungals are applied to clean such materials and places. If possible, the materials are disposed of off to prevent a second attack.
- Cleaning and deodorizing equipment- Mold specialists use many kinds of sanitizing and deodorizing chemicals to disinfect surfaces and remove the odours caused by the fungus infestation. Your place will not have that worn odour anymore. Good thing, isn’t it?
- Restoration- The professionals decide to perform minor repairs or small replacements in the infested places depending on the degree of damage. This may include a few sealings of wall cracks or the replacement of carpets. Things will be pristine in your home once again.
Which one is best for you: Mold Removal or Remediation?
Learning the difference between the two is challenging as they may seem the very same.
But according to mold specialists, mold removal refers to the complete removal of molds and their spores from a particular area, often done in a way so that the place is not re-infested.
On the other hand, mold remediation is about bringing down the mold levels in an area to a much safer and healthy level. This may be done in places which are perpetually damp from where permanently removing water or moisture is not possible, like bathrooms.
The mold specialists decide whether to go for mold removal or mold remediation only after assessing the infested areas of your house minutely.
Generally speaking, even if the slightest amount of mold is present in your home, it is highly recommended to carry out the mold remediation process. However, your remediation process will be unique and customized based on your demands. Most importantly, the procedure will be determined mainly by the results of the sample tests that will be carried out by your inspector. The next steps of this procedure will be decided only after confirming the toxicity of the mold and the size of the affected area.
Did you find our article helpful? But you want to get in touch with a professional mold specialist? Worry not; we are here to help you out. Contact us soon before it’s too late.