Things You Need to Know Before Hiring Mold Removal Professional
Mold removal can be a daunting task for everyone. The first thing that comes in mind is, where should we begin with? And how it can be done at a reasonable price?
Well, the less-known truth is that mold removal isn’t as intricate as it’s often made out to be. And the right mold professional company can guide you through the process while charging a reasonable price.
Let’s dig deep into learning the tips for finding the right mold professional company to get your job done appropriately without breaking the bank. The very first question that comes to your mind is:
Do You Need to Test for Mold?
The answer is you need to do it. But, usually, you don’t. You can do it yourself without anyone’s assistance and simply remove any small and visible mold in your home. And, the good news is you need not spend too much money on pre-testing mold. For pre-testing, you can even avoid the types and concentrations of mold present.
If anyone insists that you need to spend hundreds of dollars on pre-testing just when the mold is visible, our advice is to be aware of it because it’s often a waste of money.
The only time pre-testing is recommended is when there is visible mold, and you need “hard proof” for a negotiation. For example, if you are buying a new home that already has some mold, it’s usually a good idea to get it approved and tested as it becomes easy to negotiate the price with the seller.
Why Do You Need Professional Help?
1. Locating the Hidden Mold:
Often, a dusty or rotten smell is all that homeowners can figure out to find Mold. If Mold is expanding in a hidden location that is entirely out of sight; there are chances that the homeowner might remove the smell.
But, sometimes, Mold can grow in spots where even the homeowner isn’t aware of. Moreover, sometimes the growth is so small that even though it is in clear sight, one can miss it. With this said, finding the source and location of Mold is sometimes more challenging than removing it.
Since experts have the required experience that is needed for mold removal projects, they can easily detect the source. The best part is that the Mold remediation specialists use their experience and specialized tools to locate Mold and the amount of damage it has done.
2. Prevent Mold from Spreading:
Do you know that Mold spreads in the form of spores? If even one comes into contact with Mold and intrudes it, spores are freed into the air. These spores discover their way over the property and cinch on wherever moisture there is present. Hence, property owners who attempt the mold removal process themselves can unintentionally cause it to spread. But remediation experts can prevent the Mold and spores from spreading to other areas of the house, thus reducing health hazards.
3. Deeper Cleaning:
Homeowners who try to clean Mold themselves often lead to surface-level mold removal. This type of inadequate removal is because they lack the knowledge as well as the skills. Moreover, they don’t have the proper equipment and cleaning supplies to complete the job.
Furthermore, they are uninformed of the mold damage extent, and consequentially put their health at risk. DIY mold removal can often lead to the Mold coming back, putting the health of the people living in your house or working at your business at risk.
The constant presence of excess moisture and mold damage can possibly cause structural damage to the property itself. All in all, the DIY approach may not be a good idea!
Mold Remediation experts meet all the required skills, equipment, knowledge, and supply requirements for the mold removal process. They have specially designed suits that protect them when coming in contact with the Mold. They even use specialized equipment to clean it thoroughly and thus prevent it from returning.
How Expensive Can I Expect Mold Removal To Be?
There are several factors responsible for calculating mold removal cost. You can understand those factors here:
- The price of mold removal usually depends on the size of the job. It can often be over $1000. But, many mold professionals out there overestimate the amount of work that needs to be done, thus increasing the price. If you think you are getting more budget estimation than expected, we recommend getting multiple quotes to compare.
- However, if you get an extremely low quote, that’s also a big red flag. Companies that don’t do things properly are the only ones that can charge shockingly low prices.
- Mold removal professionals are certified and skilled tradesmen, so you can expect to pay more for a mold company than a regular handyman. Keep in mind that mold professionals have high overhead costs, such as high general liability and workers comp insurance, which also factors into their price.
- If you don’t want to spend too much and keep things really cheap, you can even do it yourself! In some cases, minor mold problems in places like a bathroom corner can be easily handled by a homeowner with the help of a few basic supplies from the hardware store. For more information, you can check our Mold Removal Guide.
- No need to take a wrecking ball to the entire house at the sight of a little mold. You can keep the price down by focusing just on the area where there is visible mold. For example, mold on drywall in one corner of the room only needs to cut out and replaced in that corner. Yes, the rest of the room (and maybe adjoining rooms) should be cleaned, but only the damaged drywall requires be cutting out and replacing.
What Should I Expect From a Professional Mold Removal Company?
Any professional mold removal company should be able to understand your project and explain to you the required steps. If the company is not able to explain the basic methods and steps of mold remediation to you, then, be aware!
Also, if someone tries to confound and mislead you about the process and scare you into hiring them, walk away immediately, there might be something fishy. Mold removal experts will explain to you the entire procedure and how you can take care of it in the future.
Here’s What to Expect From a Mold Removal Professional:
1. Proper safety gear should be worn when removing with mold. High quality & high filtration face mask is as important as the vinyl or neoprene gloves. A full protective suit is recommended when using harsh chemicals and for larger mold remediation projects.
2. Mold professionals use professional equipment such as HEPA vacuums, HEPA air scrubbers, commercial-strength dehumidifiers, etc. Regular handymen won’t have that stuff.
3. Mold removal professionals seal off the work area, often using plastic sheeting so that mold spores do not spread throughout the home.
4. When using air scrubbers and vacuuming for mold remediation, the filters used should be HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air). Only HEPA filters are intended to capture particles as small as mold spores. Regular filters may not work and can make the problem worse.
5. After the mold is physically excluded from its source, the air should be purified of airborne mold spores using HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) air scrubbers and air exchange (i.e. replacing dirty moldy air with clean, fresh air through simple ventilation or more sophisticated negative air controls for bigger jobs)
6. Mold professionals will use an antimicrobial chemical to clean any remaining mold and mold stains after the demo.
7. Mold professionals usually discard moldy porous building materials such as drywall, insulation, and baseboards. These materials are relatively inexpensive to replace and difficult to impossible to restore to their previous uncontaminated condition.
8. Mold professionals often use a sealer or encapsulant to make the treated areas more resistant to water damage and mold, and also to help with odor control.
Other Important Things To Take Into Consideration While Taking Professional Help!
- Work Experience: Experience is so important. A company that has been in the business for 7+ years will be prepared for any situation and will know how to best handle your job.
- HVAC Air Duct Cleaning: Sometimes it is necessary to have your HVAC air ducts professionally cleaned since air ducts can collect dust and mold spores. For more information about duct cleaning, please refer to our detailed guide on air duct cleaning.
- Some mold remediation companies also do restoration work, just like a general contractor. Restoration can often cost far more than the remediation depending on the style of home, building materials used, etc.
To sum it all up, hiring a mold professional doesn’t have to be as confusing as you may think. There are plenty of good and professional ones out there. The good ones won’t push additional testing, moreover, they will charge reasonable prices, will clearly explain what work they will be doing, use expert practices & equipment, and most importantly will have lots of experience.
How Dry Effect Can Help?
Trust the mold restoration experts to get your home back to the way it was. Dry Effect is a mold remediation company providing its services in the areas of Cincinnati, Northern KY, and Louisville KY.
You can google mold removal companies near me to search and do the analysis of the professionals for your mold problem.
We are committed to making it like it never even happened. We provide expert mold removal, remediation, and cleaning services. We’re here to support you in your time of need. We’re available 24/7 to help when you need us the most.
Our services also include extensive preventative measures that guard homes and businesses against re-occurrences. Not only this, we offer reasonable services for your home.
Our Inspection Process:
During our inspection process, our professionals will visit your house to thoroughly lookout for mold growth. He/She may ask you about any water damage history or past mold. If the mold presence is detected, then the professionals will test the type of Mold present and create a mold remediation plan. You can even skip the inspection and testing process based on your requirements.
At the Dry Effect, we aim to provide our customers with the safest and cleanest environment. And hence, we provide 5 years mold-free guarantee.
Selecting the most suitable option for you and your family to mitigate your water and flood damage may be a daunting experience. But with, Dry Effect you can do it quickly and with great professionalism. Dry Effect’s expert IICRC certified technicians and the personal office staff is here to assist you 24/7 with your needs and concerns. We can provide you with cost-effective options, but as well ensure you are in your home again in no time.
Contact us here to get a free estimate today!
Additional Restoration Services We Provide:
- Commercial and Residential Water Damage Restoration
- Carpet Water Extraction
- Drainage & Excavation
- Natural Disaster Recovery
- Basement Waterproofing
- Air Duct Cleaning
- Odor Removal
- Hoarding Cleanup & Junk Removal
- Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration.