15% of your total home value depends upon your plumbing system. So, it is vital to have knowledge of your plumbing system in order to avoid larger repair problems. Moreover, there are many benefits of an efficient plumbing system. It helps you in:
- Getting clean and fresh water. It is important for a healthy life.
- Adding convenience to modern living.
- Times of water shortages and drought.
- Increasing water efficiency and saving your home’s energy.
As a homeowner, you need to maintain your plumbing system to sustain your property’s value and your family’s health.
Home Plumbing Systems:
Many people think plumbing is complicated. To make it simpler to understand, know about the two systems in your home that controls all of your water needs. The first one is your potable water supply that provides your home with the fresh water. The second one is the drainage system that discharges waste water from your home. The best part is these two systems never intersect; thus, reducing the chances of water contamination.
Potable Water Supply
It controls the inflow of water and provides you with clean water. The following plumbing fixtures are connected with the potable water supply.
- Kitchen and bathroom sinks
- Bathtubs and showers
- Outdoor faucets for hoses
- Washing machine
- All areas with running water
This system drains out the water from your home. The series of pipes and components remove waste water from your home and carries it to a treatment location. It includes the following component:
Daily Maintenance Tips
Your daily activities affect your plumbing. Maintaining clogs is the best tip for daily maintenance. Use the following tips in your kitchen and bathroom in order to avoid clogs:
- Never put stringy food wastes, the waste that is difficult to grind up down the disposal. It includes potato peels, banana peels, celery, and any other foods that may clog in the pipe.
- Always turn your water on before adding food in the dish wash basin.
- Always leave the cold water to run for at least 15 seconds after using the disposal. This assures that the food wastes are properly flushed down the main line.
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it for anything else apart from human waste and toilet paper. Avoid flushing tampons and wipes.
- Prevent your hair from going down the drain by installing screens over drains.
- It is always advisable to wait for at least 10 minutes between showers to maintain proper water pressure throughout the day. It prevents any unwanted stress on your home plumbing system.
- Chemical clog removal products cause more harm than good. Hence, avoid using them. They can even corrode your pipes!
To avoid small problems from becoming huge, it is recommended to check your water pipes once a week. It will save you from huge plumbing repair costs.
- Look for watermarks, puddles of water, musty smell and mold growth under your water pipes.
- Clean your fiber springs on your washing machine.
- If bubbles are appearing while draining water, it is a sign of a slow drain. Test your sinks and showers for drainage. To work properly, all drains should have a complete swirl while the water goes down.
- Turn on each water drain in your home. Make sure that the water is not coming out of the handles or valves.
Sump Pump Plumbing Maintenance
The most important outdoor jobs for plumbing maintenance include cleaning debris from gutters and inspecting the sump pump. Make sure that the gutters are free from debris so that water can easily drain out. It may freeze or thaw during winters and fall. Sump pumps that are imperiled to frigid temperatures can freeze and stop working. It is always recommended to clean and inspect the sump pump and pit before cold winter weather arrives.
Calling Local Plumbers for Help
It is not necessary to do all the plumbing inspections yourself. You can call your local plumber to check your water pipes and drains. They can help you with:
- Repairing corroded or leaky pipes
- Servicing underground plumbing
- Repairing clogged sinks and faucets
- Clearing clogged or slow drains
- Repairing showers and bathtubs
- Installing, repairing, servicing, and replacing water heaters.
- Inspecting water pipes to check the clogs.
Make it a habit to get your plumbing system get checked regularly. Follow this checklist to prevent clogs and avoid plumbing costs. Call out professionals to help wherever you find any problem especially if you experience a water loss.