How Can I Tell if the Mold is the “Dangerous” Mold?
Not all mold is dangerous to human health, but it is still alarming and a nuisance to find it contaminating your home.
Mold can cause discoloration of your walls, and there may be a musty smell in the air which could trigger respiratory illness and allergies. In addition, over long periods of exposure to mold building materials can become structurally compromised. But the main question is;
How Can I Tell if the Mold is the “Dangerous Mold”?
How Dangerous is Mold to Health? Let’s find out!
Some molds can release mycotoxins. There is a common belief that black mold sometimes called toxic mold, can cause severe health problems because it releases mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are the toxic substances produced by a fungus.
Some research suggests that mycotoxins from Stachybotrys Chartarum link to serious health problems. One such health concern is mycotoxicosis (mold poisoning).
Other Health Problems Include:
- Aches and Pains
- Changes in Mood
- Memory Loss
Recommended Read: Can You Die From Mold?
To date, there is no proof that inhaling mold spores causes these symptoms. According to the Florida Department of Health, exposure to mold can cause the following types of health problems:
1. Allergy and Irritation
People suffering from allergies may be more susceptive to mold than others. If they come into contact with mold, they may experience symptoms, such as:
- A Runny or Blocked Nose
- Watery, Red Eyes
- A Dry Cough
- Skin Rashes
- A Sore Throat
Harsh allergies to mold can cause severe symptoms, including shortness of breath, asthma or lung problems in people with preexisting lung conditions.
A recent study found that infants and young children having exposure to mold have an increased risk of developing asthma by the age of 7. The research examined 289 homes and 36 types of mold.
However, S. Chartarum was not among the three types of mold most strongly associated with asthma development.
Research published in 2016 by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) indicates that spending time in damp indoor spaces is related to respiratory symptoms, including those of asthma.
For most people with healthy immune systems, mold is not a problem. However, people with weak immune systems, having uncontrolled HIV, transplant patients or people undergoing cancer treatment are at risk of fungal infections.
3. Toxic Effects
Some people believe that black mold is particularly dangerous because it releases mycotoxins. However, the fact is that all molds are capable of producing mycotoxins. Just because mold is present does not mean that it is producing these toxins.
Most cases of mycotoxicosis result from eating moldy food, rather than inhaling fungal spores in the home or outdoors. The available pieces of evidence do not indicate that inhaling or touching mold can cause mycotoxicosis.
Tips to Get Rid of Mold
- Remove visible mold growth from hard surfaces with a commercial mold removal product, hot soapy water, or a mixture of 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water.
- Remove & discard soft or porous materials such as carpets, insulation, or wallboard that show signs of mold.
- Contact a professional if there is extensive mold growth in the home or if allergic reactions occur when cleaning moldy surfaces.
Let’s talk about the path to your Mold Solution. Choose the way you’d like to connect with the Dry Effect team and let us help you with your mold problem.