One of the most notable things about water damage is that it is a sneaky attacker. Most people don’t think twice about the possibility of floods, not to mention all the complications one could cause. Everyone prepares for fire as they should, but they don’t really worry about flooding damages.
However, flooding damage is a huge risk and you should definitely prepare for it.
Why Flooding Damage is Worrisome
There are many reasons why floods are a huge problem that should be taken seriously. Some are;
Risk to Health and Safety
Floods create so many more problems than just the inconvenience of having water everywhere in your home or office. Floods can cause;
- Structural damage: When there is a flood, the water will seep into the building material. Be it wooden floors, or drywall the water will permeate the surfaces it touches. It is particularly bad when it involves water in basement areas. A basement leak means the water will affect the foundations of the building. Mold is also a part of flooding damage, as it grows on wet material. When mold begins to grow, it eats into the building materials, breaking it down and leading to severe structural damage.
- Electrical risks: Another terrible thing about floods is that the water gets into electrical appliances. While this would short circuits and ruin the appliances, it also means that the water can become electrically charged if these appliances are powered. This is why in a flood situation, one of the first things to do is to shut off the electricity to the building. Wading into flood water without doing this could lead to electrocution.
- Bacteria and toxins in still water: When there is a flooding accident the sitting water is always full of toxins and bacteria. Standing in such water exposes you to serious risk of disease. This is made worse by the fact that there is usually a lot of debris on the floors beneath the water which can cut you, letting these toxins right into your body.
- Mold growth: If not properly taken care of, or if left for too long, flooding damage can lead to mold growth. Mold is a terrible thing to have growing in your home or office as it is a very strong irritant and can cause serious allergy related problems for those who are sensitive to it. Some strains called black mold can lead to more grave consequences to all who are exposed to it over time. This is a very common when there is water in basement areas. Since basements are usually a sort of storage space for old things or stuff that’s not in use, mold has a lot of material to grow on and fester.
Loss of Property
When there is a flood, a lot of property gets destroyed. Basements are usually piled with property like clothes, old appliances, and things of sentimental value. So if a basement leak leaves water in basement areas, all those things will be destroyed. Even the building itself is at risk at this point, with the foundation being permeated. In this way floods are a risk to the entire property, building, and everything within it.
Flooding damage is expensive to manage. When you are not properly prepared, it could be a huge drain on your accounts. From the replacement of property, to attempts to clean up, dry and salvage the building, or in worse cases, relocation. These all cost money, making floods very expensive accidents.
What Could Cause a Flood?
Flooding is not just limited to weather-related causes. Although it is a high possibility in flood risk areas, storms, melting ice and hurricanes aren’t the only things that could result in your home becoming flooded. Other causes include;
- Overburdened or clogged drainage systems: It is important to keep your drainage systems in good shape and have a plumber go over them regularly. This is a lot cheaper than it would be if you are not careful and have to pay to fix flooding damage.
- Broken and leaking pipes: Your pipes are also a flooding danger. One leak could have water gushing into your home in minutes. Always know where the main valve is in your home so that you can shut off the water completely in such a case.
- Appliance malfunctions: From a washing machine, to a water heater, to a simple tap. If any of your appliances are malfunctioning, it is very wise to replace them as soon as you can in order to avoid possible flooding.
How to Avoid Flooding Damage
To stay on the safe side concerning flooding requires vigilance. It is not as easy as installing a fire extinguisher in the building. Floods cannot be extinguished, so you will have to work with preventive measures. A few of these are;
- Keep an eye out: Always go about your building to check for leaks anywhere, or any faulty machinery. Remember to check for basement leaks as well.
- Turn off water: You should always know where the main valve is to shut off water to your building completely in the event of a flood. If you spot a leak anywhere, to prevent a flood, shut off the water.
- Water Damage Remediation: Water Damage Restoration Companies are the best equipped to handle all your flood worries. From being able to do routine checks, keeping your water systems in tick-tock shape, to being able to handle flood threats professionally and save your property, these companies are the ones for the job.
Just as you worry about a fire incident, you should definitely consider flooding damage something to worry about. Although a lot of insurance policies don’t cover flooding damage, this is all the more reason why you should be more vigilant.
Put a call through to Dry Effect and ensure that you are safe from flood risk. Having these professionals come by often to keep your water systems in check is nothing compared to the cost of having to deal with a flood.
Stay safe from flood today.